By Jim Gerl, Esq.
December 23, 2015
The U. S. Department of Education issued a Dear Colleague Letter on Friday providing guidance on the recently reauthorized Elementary and Secondary Education Act. The letter covers expectations regarding:
- Title I assessment peer review;
- annual measurable objectives (AMOs) and annual measurable achievement objectives (AMAOs) for school years 2014–2015 and 2015–2016;
- conditions and other related requirements under ESEA flexibility;
- priority and focus school lists; and,
- educator evaluation and support systems under ESEA flexibility.
In addition, the letter notes that a Request for Information (RFI) that seeks advice and recommendations regarding regulations under Title I of the ESEA as reauthorized by the ESSA is available today for public inspection at https://www.federalregister.gov/public-inspection.
A link to that document will be available at http://www.ed.gov/essa when it is published in the Federal Register. So if you have thoughts about new Title I regulations, you may provide input there.
You can read the Dear Colleague Letter here.